Monday, November 9, 2009

Engineers Without Borders -> Engineering Consultants Across Borders

Visiting India recently, I realized that some of the best people to solve India's problems are people from India. They have friends and family living in these villages that are starving, have no income, little education, etc. One of the biggest issues they had was finding people in the United States to help/collaborate with them on projects.

By transforming Engineers Without Borders or similar groups into a more consultant structure. We help solve problems that other engineers around the world are experiencing, I believe these groups can massively cut down on their costs, be much more effective, and inspire engineers around the world.

In addition, I believe firmly, that the best way to solve a problem is to live in the problem space, understanding what the people need and being a part of that community.

I recently talked to the director of Habbitat for Humanity India addition. I asked him if Americans coming over and building houses was really a good use of funds being a plane ticket could hire 10 people to do their job. He said, yes, because it shows Americans care. Frankly, I think 10 more houses being built is much more important than someone in the slums thinking I care. Maybe that is because I care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment