Monday, November 9, 2009

Sesame Street For Adults

When I was a child one of my favorite shows was Sesame Street. With the constant shifting of media, the fun moppets, the edgy songs, and the interesting stories. It was a great way to learn.

Fastforward to TV "for adults". If I want to learn something on the discovery channel or the history channel I get two options.

1. A dull voice speaking over still pictures for 1 hour.
2. A reality TV show where I have to try REALLY hard to actually learn something.

When did we decide education for adults had to be either really boring or not educational?

My grand idea is to have Sesame Street for Adults. I want to continue to be taught by muppets and I want to continue to learn about the world around me even if I'm done with school.

Some of my random ideas with this concept:

1. Today's episode is brought to you by the number Pi or i.

2. You can have segments educating people on global issues for instance- the immense poverty in India, womens issues in the Middle East, or how global warming is going to be adressed in copenhagen.

3. Segments could be dedicated to incredible findings in psychology- how advertisements sale you items, the effects of having a positive attitude, how stereotypes exist even when we don't think they do, etc.

4. A news section where information is accurate and portrayed in an interesting way (think daily show but claiming that they actually do news).

5. Explanations of modern scientific discoveries- the hydron colider, anything on TED, hydrogen fuel, etc. Interviews will be conducted with prominent scientists by muppets.

If people can beging to see that learning is fun and exciting, I can see this help create an amazing shift in society's view of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment